Heat one tablespoon of the oil in a cast iron skillet on medium heat.
When the oil is hot add the onions and garlic. Cook until the water is released and they are nicely cooked down, which should be about 12 minutes.
Push them to the side, turn the down heat and then add the second tablespoon of oil to the pan with the spices, Morton® Coarse Kosher Salt and chipotle peppers. Cook on medium-low heat until fragrant for about 8 minutes.
Deglaze the pan with a splash of water and stir to coat well. When the water is evaporated, add the tomatoes and turn up heat to medium-high heat.
Cook for 6 mins, then add sliced portobellos.
Turn the heat down to a medium simmer and cook for 15 minutes, while stirring frequently.
Serve with your favorite garnishes! I like to use sliced avocado, sour cream, black bean pico de gallo and top everything with Morton® Coarse Himalayan Pink Salt.
- 1 pound grilled portobello mushrooms
- 14-ounces can fire-roasted tomatoes
- 2 each chipotles in Adobo
- 2 each garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 teaspoon Morton® Coarse Kosher Salt
- ½ teaspoon Mexican oregano - It’s totally fine to use the regular oregano that’s commonly sold in supermarkets, or substitute with epazote.
- 1 teaspoon cumin, ground
- 1 teaspoon paprika, smoked
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, thinly sliced
- ½ teaspoon Morton® Coarse Himalayan Pink Salt
- Corn tortillas