For Cheddar Shortbread Crunch:
Combine all ingredients in a mixer with a paddle attachment. Mix just until combined, it will still be a bit crumbly.
If baking now, dump dough on a piece of parchment paper and top with a second piece of parchment. Use a rolling pin to roll ¼ inch thick.
If you would like to save some of the dough for later, roll out what you need for now and roll remaining dough into smaller balls. Flatten the balls to 1 inch thick, wrap tightly in plastic and freeze. Pull out from freezer 2 hours before baking and allow to defrost on the counter.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Bake for 10-12 minutes, until golden brown. Allow to cool before breaking into large chunks.
For Warm Pie Filling:
If using stone fruit, cut into slices.
Add to a small pot with other fruit, sugar and lime juice and zest.
Cook over low heat for 15 minutes. Fruit should be broken down and bubbling.
Add cornstarch and basil. Gently mix and let cook for another 2 minutes.
Set aside until ready to serve.
To serve, scoop your favorite ice cream into a bowl. Spoon warm pie filling over the top and garnish with a large piece of cheddar shortbread.
- 1 pint ice cream, vanilla is great!
- Cheddar Shortbread Crunch (recipe below)
- Warm pie filling (recipe below)
- For Cheddar Shortbread Crunch: 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- ½ pound butter, room temperature
- ¾ cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- ½ tsp Morton Fine Sea Salt
- For Warm Pie Filling: 1/2 pound mixed berries and/or stone fruit, such as blueberries, strawberries and peaches
- Juice of 1 lime plus 1 teaspoon lime zest
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon corn starch
- ½ teaspoon Morton Fine Sea Salt
- 1 tablespoon basil, rough chopped