Preheat the grill to medium-high heat.
Bring the chicken stock to a boil in a medium-sized pot. Remove from heat and add dried mushrooms. Allow to steep for 15-20 minutes, reconstituting the fungi. Strain the mushrooms, reserve stock and set both aside to cool.
Meanwhile, warm the butter in a large cast iron skillet.
Toss in the carrots and parsnip, lightly sautéing both. Add onion and garlic, preparing until onion is just translucent and garlic is fragrant. Add asparagus and Swiss chard, cooking until both are tender.
Fold in smoked chicken thighs, then flour, milk and cream, along with peas and all minced herbs, ensuring to scrape up all browned bits on the bottom of the pan.
Add Morton® Coarse Kosher Salt, stir well to combine and cook while covered until the filling achieves your desired consistency (the flour should do its trick and thicken the stock to a gravy consistency).
Coat a separate cast iron pie skillet (or baking sheet) with butter and overlay with the rolled-out pie dough.
Load the filling to the brim and fold dough back over the edges. Brush the exposed pie dough with butter, top it with shredded gruyere over the galette’s edges and then sprinkle the dough with a few pinches of Morton® Coarse Himalayan Pink Salt.
Place the free-form pie over the grill grates to lightly brown the bottom, then turn down the heat to low, close the grill lid and cook until the dough is just cooked through and a beautiful golden color from edge to edge is achieved.
Remove from heat and set aside for 5-10 minutes to cool. Slice and serve.
- 2 cups chicken stock, prepared from smoked leftover chicken carcass
- ½-ounce dried chanterelle mushrooms
- 1 ounce dried morel mushrooms (*can be substituted with creminis or portobello)
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, plus additional to brush pie dough
- 2 large carrots, sliced
- 2 large parsnips, sliced
- 1 cup asparagus, chopped
- 1 red onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon roasted minced garlic
- 3 cups julienned Swiss chard
- 1 pound lightly roasted, shredded chicken thighs, left over from the day before
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole milk
- ½ cup heavy cream
- ½ cup fresh or frozen peas
- 1 teaspoon minced oregano
- 1 teaspoon minced thyme, plus additional for the crust
- 2 tablespoons minced parsley
- Pie dough, homemade or store-bought, rolled out to 1/4” thickness
- 1 cup gruyere cheese, shredded
- 1 ½ teaspoon Morton® Coarse Kosher Salt
- ½ teaspoon Morton® Coarse Himalayan Pink Salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground peppercorn, to taste