Bring water, salt and sugar to a boil. Whisk to ensure that it is dissolved completely.
Remove from heat and add the rest of the ingredients.
Let the brine cool completely and submerge the turkey in it.
For breasts only, let sit in brine for 5 hours.
If brining a whole 12 pound turkey, let sit in brine for 12 hours.
Roast until 165° F internal and let rest for 30 minutes.
Recommended Turkey Rub:
- 4 Tbsp. Morton Kosher Salt
- 1 Tbsp. Sugar
- 1 Tbsp. Dried minced onion
- 1 tsp. Ground dried ginger
- 1 Tbsp. Garlic powder
- 1 Pinch cayenne
- 1⁄2 tsp. Dried thyme
- 1 tsp. Spanish paprika
- 1 Tbsp. Ground, dried chipotle
- 1 Tbsp. Whole cumin seeds, toasted and ground
- 1 tsp. Whole dill seeds, toasted and ground
- 5 Whole cardamom seeds, toasted and ground
- Toast cardamom, cumin, and dill in a dry pan. Process in a spice grinder.
- Add the rest of the spices and massage turkey with the mixture and roast.
Recommended Side Dish: Spicy Rice
- 1 Cup Jasmine Rice
- 2 1/2 Cups of water
- 2 Oz. Toasted peanuts (chopped)
- 1 Oz. Thai chilis (toasted and chopped)
- 1 Oz. Roasted garlic
- 4 Leaves of Basil
- 1 Small Onion (finely chopped)
- 1 Tbsp. Sunfower oil
- 4 Sprigs Cilantro (chopped)
- 1 Oz. Fresh ginger (peeled)
- 1 Meyer lemon
- Morton Kosher Salt for seasoning
- In a heavy bottomed pot, with tight fitting lid, sweat the onion in the oil
- Season the onions and add the chopped chilis
- Add the water and bring to a boil, seasoning with Kosher Salt
- Add the rice and stir once, bringing back to a boil and stir again
- Cover the pot and reduce to a simmer
- Cook for 20 minutes and remove from heat to rest for 10 minutes
- Add the peanuts, garlic, cilantro and basil
- Plate and serve!