Combine corn cobs, milk, Morton® Fine Sea Salt and the sugar in a large saucepan, and simmer, until the liquid is flavorful, about 20 minutes. Strain into a medium heavy-bottomed pot or Dutch oven and put over high heat until it boils.
Whisk in the cornmeal in a steady stream, whisking apart lumps as you see them: turn down to a simmer. Simmer until thick, about 15 minutes, stirring frequently to keep it from sticking. Take off the heat and stir in the pepper, butter and cheese.
Pour into a greased 9- X 13-inch rimmed baking sheet, smooth the top, and cool for 20 minutes before refrigerating until solid, about 1 hour.
Heat an inch of vegetable oil in a large skillet for a few minutes. The oil is up to temp when you stick the tip of a wooden spoon into the oil and it starts bubbling right away.
While the oil is heating cut the cooled polenta with a star cutter. Dredge the stars in cornstarch to coat lightly and cover any moist edges. Fry in batches (Don’t crowd) till golden brown, about 30 seconds per side. Drain on folded paper towels and serve with truffle dip (recipe below).
Be Scrappier: Tear the polenta trimmings into bite-size bits and fry in the remaining oil until brown and crispy. Use instead of croutons on a salad or as a soup topper
For Truffle Dip: Mix ingredients together and serve with the tots. Can be refrigerated for up to 3 days.
Star Corn Cob Tots with Truffle Dip
- Preparation Time: 30 Minutes
- Serves: 6-8
Scraps Starring in a Leading Role: Corn cobs get a Hollywood makeover to transform them into these star-shaped bites, with a powerful truffle dip that gives them a gourmet flavor punch. Choosing the Right Salt: Use Morton® Fine Sea Salt in the polenta mix and truffle dip because it dissolves quickly and blends easily.
- 3 naked corn cobs, snapped in half
- 1 quart low-fat milk
- 1 teaspoon Morton® Fine Sea Salt
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1½ cups stone-ground coarse yellow cornmeal
- ½ teaspoon fresh ground white or black pepper
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- ½ cup grated sharp white cheddar cheese
- ½ cup cornstarch
- Vegetable oil for frying
- 1 recipe Truffle Dip or your favorite dipping sauce
- For Truffle Dip: 3/4 cup mayo
- ½ teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon truffle oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice, plus some grated zest, if you’re feeling scrappy.
- ½ teaspoon Morton® Fine Sea Salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper