Preheat the oven to 450F.
Place the tomatoes, cut side up, on a large rimmed baking sheet, spreading in an even layer.
Sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon Morton Fine Sea Salt.
Drizzle with 2 tablespoons olive oil.
Roast until the tomatoes shrivel, start to break down, and become lightly browned, about 30 minutes.
Meanwhile, in a wide, heavy pot, warm 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt and saute, stirring, until golden brown and tender, about 10 minutes. Set aside until the tomatoes are ready.
When the tomatoes are ready, add them (along with any juices) to a pot along with the roasted peppers and chicken broth.
Return the pot to medium heat, stir to combine, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for about 20 minutes to allow the flavors to come together.
Remove from the heat and let cool slightly.
Transfer to a blender, in batches if necessary, and puree until very smooth.
Place a colander over the saucepan and strain the mixture back into the saucepan.
Add the cream, if using, stir to combine, then place over low heat to warm while you make the cheese toasts.
Preheat the broiler and brush the baguettes with olive oil. Place in an even layer on a baking sheet and toast one side of the bread until lightly golden.
Remove from the oven, turn the bread over and top each piece of bread with some shredded cheese, dividing evenly (about 1/2 ox per toast).
Return to the oven and broil until the cheese is melted and golden; be sure to watch closely so it doesn’t burn.
Serve each bowl of warm soup topped with 2 cheese toasts and a sprinkle of Morton Coarse Sea Salt.
Sea Salt Recipes
Roasted Red Pepper & Tomato Soup With Cheese Toasts
- Main Course
- Cooking Time: 50 minutes
- Preparation Time: 30 minutes
- Serves: 4-6
- Difficulty: medium
A wonderfully hearty tomato soup for wintery days featuring Morton® Coarse Sea Salt and Morton® Fine Sea Salt.
- 3lbs ripe tomatoes such as Roma, Early Girl or Heirloom, halved
- 3/4 teaspoon Morton Fine Sea Salt
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, plus more for brushing
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 16-ounce jar roasted red bell peppers, drained and roughly chopped
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup heavy cream (optional)
- 4 to 6 oz shredded white cheddar
- 8 to 12 slices of baguette; sliced 1/2-inch-thick on the diagonal
- 1/2 teaspoon Morton Coarse Sea Salt