Canning & Pickling Hints
Use these helpful hints when preparing your favorite canned or pickled foods.
- Use only Morton® Canning & Pickling Salt when canning & pickling vegetables, since table salt tends to leave a sediment in the bottom of the jar.
- Can only good quality, fresh foods.
- Use recommended containers and lids, and follow the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Use vinegar of 5 or 6 percent acidity.
- Carefully examine jars for nicks or cracks. Chipped rims prevent a good seal, and cracked jars may break during processing.
- Wash food and utensils thoroughly before processing.
- Make sure your pressure gauge is accurate before processing.
- Make sure finished jars are firmly sealed with no leaks.